Monday, April 8, 2013

MADE: Peacock Taffy Blouse

A tale of fabric and pattern...

I fell in love with this fabric as soon as I saw it in the "silky" aisle of Joann. I originally bought it with the intent to make another Scout, but as I looked at the fabric it just called for something with a little bit more girly-ness to it and it sat on the shelf with the rest of the prewashed fabric waiting for the perfect match.  The peacock print is actually on the bias so, when I cut the pattern pieces on the bias it made the pattern vertical.

Poly Peacock Chiffon

For Christmas I knew I wanted to get 2 sewing books... I was gifted with Gertie's and Colette's book. As I was glancing through the Colette book I noticed a particular simply blouse with just the perfect amount of frill. I knew this would be the perfect pattern for the long awaiting peacock chiffon.

Colette Taffy

Pattern: Taffy Blouse from The Colette Sewing Handbook
Fabric: Poly Chiffon with Peacock Print from Joann
Cost:  $18.58 = $3 (book $15/5 patterns) + $15.58 (fabric 2 yds @$7.79)
What I Love:  The fabulous fabric and only needing 3 pattern pieces!
Notes:
  • Stabilize/starch fabric MORE! 
  • Left off the ties because didn't see a need for them.
  • Chiffon hem for the sleeve instead of bias tape.

This was the first time I worked with fabric on the bias, and it was a beast to work with!  When using shifty fabric on the bias, be sure to use full pattern pieces.  I read several comments about this on the blogosphere, but didn't heed their warnings... BAD IDEA!  I couldn't get the fabric cut correctly on the fold or get the markings accurate, but it was close enough.  :)

peacock taffy 03

I was also super lazy and didn't switch out my thread when attaching the black bias tape on the neckline.  I have some trouble stitching in the ditch, too, and the lavender stitching definitely stuck out. (For some reason, the stitching on the this part was particularly wavy... not sure why.) I almost redid it, but someone at my local meetup suggested using black fabric marker to color in the thread.  What a genius idea!  Here's the below and after:

peacock taffy 01
peacock taffy 02
The black ink did fade a little after the wash, but it's definitely better than without it...

I do like the top, but in general I don't think I like clothing on the bias.  It's hard to describe... it just feels shifty like it's always moving around on you.  Haha... that just sounds weird, but it just feels funny when I wear it.  I will wear the top and will hopefully have some coordinating bottoms to wear with it soon.

peacock taffy 04

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that marker trick worked brilliantly! Your top looks really cute, love it with jeans. I dig how the lettuce edge turned out on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did... I need to find a better quality marker though. Thanks, Susan!

      Delete
  2. I know just what you mean about the shifty. It's really hard to describe but it does feel kind of alive doesn't it. All I can tell you is that you do get used to it. Love this top, great result. Your' right, it's just the right amount of girlie. The fabric is fantastic - got any scraps left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worn it a couple of times and it doesn't feel as weird as the first time. I do have some scraps left. Would you like it? I'll bring it to the next meetup. :)

      Delete
  3. I think this is super cute! I really, really love that print and it looks great with this pattern. I do know what you mean about bias clothing though, I always feel like they are way too CLINGY and form fitting for my taste- especially when it comes to skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I never thought about wearing skirts on the bias... I don't think I would like that, too.

      Delete
  4. Love it. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete