Sunday, June 9, 2013

MADE: Simplicity 1873 Dress 1.0

Wanted to make a dress for a particular wedding... there's nothing like creating under pressure. The dress was completed in time... back in April! As you can tell, I have a little bit of a backlog in posting makes... and they're getting posted in no particular order.

I've had my eye on this pattern for quite some time now. I love planning makes, and I always have at least 10 things in queue which are often changing because I get so distracted. Often, I'm not as good as executing the plan as planning it. However, I knew I wanted to make this pattern right away and knew which fabric to use. The fabric is from a fabric sale at a place I learned how to sew from February 2008 but is no longer there. Overall, it came together pretty easily and have one more in the works, but not for myself. :)

Simplicity 1873 v1.0

Pattern: Simplicity 1873 View C
Fabric: embroidered pink twill from stash and nude rayon lining from a local shop, The Common Thread
Cost: not sure... the fabric is too old :P
Love: Simple yet classic design
Notes:
  • I was going to add the tab with view C, but I simply forgot about them. However, I'm glad I did because now I can wear this fabulous belt with it! The belt is from a couple of a years ago from Anthropologie.
  • Basted the pleats on the skirt, but they still didn't line up properly with the bodice.  Luckily, it's not noticeable!
  • Needs pockets.
  • After taking the pictures, I noticed that back was a smidge long. There is this bulge I didn't notice until I saw the pictures.

Simplicity 1873 v1.0

The invisible zipper was pretty dang good except the very top. I sewed the plastic zipper stop right above the seam allowance so when the lining was flipped over the plastic piece kept it from being a clean zipper application. I'm not sure why I did that... oh well, I just need to remember not to do that. It's not "perfect" at the bodice and skirt... I think it's due to the bulk. I know I know... now I'm just being nit picky! :P

Simplicity 1873 v1.0

Machine blind-stitched hem... please excuse the wrinkly-ness.

Simplicity 1873 v1.0

Lining slip-stitched to waist:

Simplicity 1873 v1.0

Love this dress and have already worn it several times. :)

8 comments:

  1. Cute! Looks perfect for spring and summer.

    I'm also a crazy planner and have learned to relax about actually following through. If it happens, it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's true I get frustrated when things don't go they way I want it to or planned it to happen, but have also learned to relax. There's no point in stressing... it just makes it worse, and it's totally made the sewing process much more enjoyable. :)

      Delete
  2. Love this colour on you. And yes, you are being ultra picky! I would not have noticed those things if you hadn't said anything. The fit is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo cute! I have no room to chastise anyone on fit tweaking since I do it incessantly, but I think this fit looks great. I love that fabric, I love the design of the full pleated skirt. But omg yes it needs some side seam pockets... they wouldn't be evident at all in this design so that's a must do! :) If I've told you this once I've told you a gaggle of times but you look awesome in pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! My next one shall have pocket for sure! :)

      Delete
  4. I almost made this pattern last winter! I think I will now -- yours looks so adorable. And it must be comfy if you've worn it a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's relatively easy to put together and pretty comfy. :) You should totally make it!

      Delete